Using digital cameras is a form
of technology, as we progress into the digital era children are coming into
contact with technology more often than not. The children are exposed to
cameras, camera phones in the home. A majority of children under the age of
five are experts on how to use these devices, and can show the adults in their
lives how to operate them within minutes of picking up a device.
Within my centre the use of
digital cameras by the children is not a daily practice. It is very rare that
the children are allowed to use the cameras. Although the centre provides one
camera for each room, the teachers also use their personal cameras. With the
use of personal camera’s the children do not get much hands on when it comes to
using the equipment themselves.
Ministry of Education states that "...children use a variety of technologies for different purposes as they explore their world" (1996, p. 98)
The benefits of children using
cameras as seen in the video are amazing. Looking at things from a child’s
point of view shows what it important to them. Giving children the opportunity
to use cameras allows them to document what they are doing, who they are
friends with, what they are interested in.
The child in the video also
learnt how to down load the photos and send them to his father who was away
working. This then gave the child an opportunity to learn about other digital
device
“In children’s hands, digital cameras are a
powerful learning tool” Young Children (2008, p 49)

Children
when given the chance to experiment with cameras will look at things from all
angles. A child at my centre was interested in learning to dance, she asked me
to show her how to dance so I taught her how to do a box step. She wanted one
of the other teachers to take photos of us dancing so she could show her family
what she had learnt. Once the other teacher had taken the photos ‘S’ asked me
if I would show the other girls how to dance. As I was showing the other girls ‘S’
asked for the camera and took photos of us dancing. The results were amazing as
‘S’ took the photos from a perspective that I would never had thought of
taking. She had photos of our feet, as well as the whole body, and our facial
expressions. I then made a photo story of the experience using my photos as well
as ‘S’s photos which ‘S’ could show to her family.References:
Education, M. o. (1996). Te Whāriki: He whāriki mātauranga mo nga mokopuna o
Aotearoa: Early childhood curriculum. . Wellington, New Zealand:
Learning Media.
Images
retrieved from https://www.google.co.nz/search?num=10&hl=en&site
Meaningful Technology Integration in Early Learning
Environments. (2008). YC: Young Children,63(5), 48-50.
Video retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnpIzsZCPic/

Hi Carmen. Yes you are so right when you said that our younger generation are becoming more technology savvy, and I have witnessed a 4 year old demonstrate to an adult how to manipulate their way aroung an Ipad- which I was absolutely stunned!
ReplyDeleteAnd you absolutely highlighted for me, one of the most important uses of a digital camera- documenting for children to revisit, and also as a tool to include whanau/parents in the daily happenings of their child through these snippets.
I really like that your centre provides children with the opportunity to use the digital cameras when appropriate, even if it is rare. Yes I agree that children's perspectives on their environment are more evident in photos, which we aren't always aware of.
Thanks for sharing this blog with me. It is nice to get someone elses perspective on the use of digital technology within a different context.
sonia sehnaz16 August 2012 22:15
ReplyDeleteHi Carmen, I really like the phtotes you have posted on your blog. I do understand that not all centres allow cameras to be used with children and i totally respect that. I think a bit more literature could give you more information but it is up to you. I really lked that you backed up your blog with Te whariki. The setting of photoes is far better then mine. I like the colour of your blog and hope to see more of your blogs up for me to commment on.
My response to Mel and Sonia’s feedback on digital camera use:
DeleteThanks girls for the feedback, it is nice to have a peer review on my work.
I agree with you Sonia about the literature, we can always use more to extend our knowledge. With Te Whāriki being such an important part of our centre life to not include it seems wrong.
Sonia I like how you have not condemned the centre for their lack of interactive use of the cameras with the children; a lot of people would think that as being unfair and would voice their opinions.
Mel I think that what we may write about; someone else see’s it in a different context. Being able to see another perspective on what you have written can change the way that you see things. It may not change your views but it can show you that everyone looks at the same thing differently.
I agree totally that with the use of digital cameras, we are more able to document children’s learning than before when photos were not readily assessable to help with documentation.
I have enjoyed getting your feedback, thank-you.