welcome message

welcome to my technology blog, I hope you find it informative and interesting.

Monday, 27 August 2012

Technology and making a bark garden


While trying to find an example of children using non digital technology, all I could think about was telephones, play dough, cars or writing implements.

While all these things can be classed as non-digital they were not what I was after. I then remembered about the process that the children and I went through to make a bark garden. We initially had to look at the area that we were going to use; we had decided to make the garden level with the concrete so we could sweep the bark back into the garden.

We then had to discuss how we were going to take out the excess dirt, where we were going to place the dirt and how to get it there.

 Once the children had decided on what forms of technology they were going to use we then proceeded onto the task at hand.

The children then found all the buckets, spades and anything else that they could use to dig and transport the dirt. They then went about removing and transporting the dirt solving the problems of heavy buckets, and not enough digging equipment amongst themselves.

As stated by Smorti(1999, p. 6) “The children used a process approach to technology, it is the ‘doing’ that is important, rather than the ‘product’. The design phase may involve drawing plans, but is more likely to involve talking about the problem and possible solutions.”


The children decided that because the large buckets were heavy that they needed two people to carry them, or they used smaller buckets and containers. Once the area was at the right level they then found all the rakes in the sandpit and used them to level out the remaining dirt.after the area was level I then put the bark in, and the children leveled it out.

This experience can be linked to the exploration strand linking it to essential skills and learning areas of technology Ministry(1996, p. 98) “in exploring the physical environment, children gain increasing motor and manipulative control and skill in using tools and materials safely, while also using a variety of technologies for different purposes as they explore their world.”


Not only did the children look at the task that was required they then looked for the tools that they would need, when they could not find them they asked for the sandpit create to be opened so they could get the tools out. They solved the problems of tools that were needed, how to transport the dirt and where to place it once they had removed it. All this incorporated different technology.

 

Education, M. o. (1996).  Te Whāriki: He whāriki mātauranga mo nga mokopuna o Aotearoa: Early childhood curriculum. . Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.

Smorti, S. (1999). Technology in Early Childhood. Early Education, 19, 5-10.

 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Carmen. What a fantastic activity for the children to utilise many different pieces of technology, and we are all clearly able to see how the technology helps us, or makes things easier.

    I love your quote by Smorti, and do absolutely agree with Early Childhood being process orientated rather than product orientated. Within your blog, it sounds like the children will find some pleasure in both the process and the product.

    I can definately see the impact on the children's learning and development within your post. So much science and maths would be incorporated, as well as social skills such as working together and turn taking, belonging, and the exploration and gross motor skills that you have highlighted.

    Love yyour photos too :)
    Thanks for sharing Carmen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carmen, I love the way you use all the photos right through your blog. I really liked the way you and children went out with creative ideas and used so many tools like buckets, spades and anything else that they could use to dig and transport the dirt. Then the children went about removing and transporting the dirt solving the problems of heavy buckets, and not enough digging equipment amongst themselves. I know math’s and science went on as well when children found that the buckets were heavy to lift by one person.
    The children also worked well in finding out that when bucket was heavy they needed two people to carry it. I really liked how children used smaller buckets and containers to carry soil. I also liked the way you backed up your post with quotes from Smorti and Te Whaariki and I totally agree with it.
    To be honest I love reading through it and I believe that there are so many things we can do around our centre to keep children busy if ICT technology is not available.

    Thank you for allowing me to read your Blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how both of you have said similar things about the Smorti and Te Whāriki quotes, I thought that they summed up what I was trying to convey in my blog quite well.
      Even though when we initially started out with the garden it was a spur of the moment decision, I was not thinking of the skills involved it turned into a very technology based activity. The added bonus being that the children could incorporate science and maths as well. It also gave the children a chance to enhance their gross motor skills which I was not thinking about. I am glad that you liked the photos that I used; they took a while to find just the ones that I wanted to use.

      Delete