When we were first told that we had to do a blog, I was interested in
what was required. Then when trying to set it up for myself and everyone else
it became a nuisance. I have since come to enjoy using a blog; I have found
that it is a great way to get other peoples perspectives on what you have seen
and done.
Reading the Smorti (1999) article gave me an insight into how technology is seen in the eyes of teachers
and parents. When talking about technology in this era we mainly think about
digital technology and forget all about the other technology around us.
I also found that when it came to linking my blog to Te Whāriki (1996) I found this difficult as there are only a few direct quotes, I then
realised that technology is mentioned within the essential learning and skills
of the curriculum.
Having read the feedback given to me by my fellow teammates it has
given me ideas that I have not thought of.
Although some of them are good they may not be obtainable within my
centre at the moment, but they can be noted to be looked at a later time.
The readings Isenberg(2006)and Hatherly(2009) that the girls have used have given
me an insight into how technology can be incorporated into literacy and the
arts that I never considered. I have noticed that a lot of the readings
mentioned in the blogs have been arts based, or include the use of the children’s
motor skills this has intrigued me to find new ways of incorporating technology
into my centre.

While we might not think of technology as being important it is
something that is generally assessable by all children at home; through the use
of cell phones, I-pod, I-pads, cameras, computers and laptops. Being able to
extend the children’s knowledge at times can be problematic, especially if the
technology is unavailable due to funds, or teacher knowledge.
Not every teacher is technologically savvy; if a teacher has a fear of
technology then this can inhibit the children’s chances of learning about
technology through hands on experiences. How we as teachers enhance technology in
our centres reflects on the way that children learn about technology. It is not
necessary for all technology that is exposed to children to be of the digital
kind; while most children are experts with the digital kind of technology they
are greatly missing in the ways of non-digital technology. The children may be
exposed to non-digital technology, but they lack the understanding that what
they are doing is classed as technology.

While doing this blog I have discovered many different forms of
technology and how to introduce it and incorporate it into every day settings
within the centre.
To enhance the children’s technology exposure I may suggest that as a
centre we plan a trip to Motat so that children can have a hands on experience
with technology.

No comments:
Post a Comment